Dog ate bar of soap


Dog ate bar of soap for months then got fat and died – because a dog will eat anything it thinks is a meat source

A dog who ate a bar of soap has died of severe fat-clog because of its unusual diet.

Pooch, a 10-year-old Staffordshire bull terrier, ate the wash rag almost as soon as he came home from the vets with a life-threatening cancer.

But owner Julie Scott, 44, said it could have been worse – and after almost five months of eating the soapy substance he was fit and ready to play.

Then one morning Pooch was in the garden and did not come back in. When Scott picked him up she found him dead and in agony.

Julie Scott (right) with her husband, Andy Scott, and their son, Ben, 5, in the garden in their Largs home where their dog, Pooch, ate the soap

'Pooch died from eating bar of soap because he was starving'

Julie Scott, 44, of Largs, found Pooch dead in her garden the morning after he died, after eating a bar of soap and trying to roll it around in the dirt

And in the weeks that followed she discovered her dog had eaten much more, including a bar of soap, a bottle cap, a screwdriver, the plastic casing from a packet of crisps and a rubber ball.

'Pooch had died from eating bar of soap because he was starving and he was trying to roll it around in the dirt,' said Julie, who is married to Andy.

'At the vets he was only five stone but when he came home he was 10 stone and was like an old man.'

Julie found out Pooch was eating a bar of washing up liquid just three days after he arrived home when she came in to feed him after work.

'I can't stop thinking about the dog. He went from being a lovely, loving pet to someone who was eating things out of my hand.

'I was heartbroken when I found him.

'I went into the bathroom and pulled up a bar of soap and I was shouting at my husband to take a look.

'But he had gone when he heard me shout. The next day I went to the garden and I found him dead with the soap round his neck.'

Julie called a vet and went back to the home she had rented on the Ayrshire coast with her husband and son.

She explained: 'My heart sank when I found him dead in the garden.

'At first I thought it was a fox but when I found his neck was covered in limescale. I didn't know what to think.

'I could only put it down to animal cruelty because I had always taken good care of him.

'I found a couple of limescale marks under his jaw and around his neck, just like a dog who was tied up. It was a total mystery.'

Julie said she believes her neighbours had been giving the dog away as people didn't know he was eating.

'I asked them to call the police but no-one will know what happened to him.

'He was only about one year old when I adopted him.

'It's like I lost a baby. I can't stop thinking about him and what would have happened if I hadn't adopted him.'

Julie was taken to her GP after the washing-up liquid discovery but the only advice she was given was to call an animal rescue centre, which she did.

'I didn't know if anyone would take him in because he was a bit older and they might want to know how old he was, which I would have no way of telling.

'He's probably had enough of people and not being fed regularly so I didn't know what would have happened to him if I hadn't adopted him.

'He would have been in the pound, or given to a person. He was the sort of dog that would go and get in trouble if he wasn't fed regularly.'

Julie was worried the washing-up liquid could have been linked to her other pet, who was suffering from cancer.

But she later found a charity that could feed her two dogs at once

Julie bought the washing-up liquid from a pet shop, where it is usually used to clean bowls and pans.

She said: 'I'm going to have to buy more stuff to treat him from the chemist.

'It was in a pet shop and they had used it to clean a bowl. I thought that the limescale marks could have been linked to it.

'The washing-up liquid isn't a chemical product and it wasn't on the ingredient list.

'It could just be the washing-up liquid that's linked to my other dog, which has cancer. It's very unlikely, but it could have.'

Julie has given her washing-up liquid to another member of the family and has now been advised to speak to the vets.

A DSA spokesman said: 'We would never advise anyone to put any kind of medication into any animal's food or treats, especially without the owner's consent.

'The washing-up liquid is clearly on the ingredients list and is linked to other items of food. This does not mean the washing-up liquid is poisonous but it is a risk and should not be used in any kind of food.

'If the owner of the washing-up liquid is worried they should speak to a vet, who can assess the circumstances of the animal.'

A spokesman for the Kennel Club said it was unaware of any problems arising from using washing-up liquid.

'It's very distressing for any owner to think they are harming their animal by giving it anything but this is not the case.

'There is nothing in the rules that relates to washing-up liquid, soap or any chemical or petrochemical ingredients.

'There's no regulation that would ban a veterinary practitioner from treating an animal with food, this includes washing-up liquid.

'The only thing that's illegal is giving a person food, salt, sugar or any other kind of chemical that causes harm to animals.'


Watch the video: S16Ep10 - Brian tries to eat chocolate


Previous Article

Blue Buffalo Issues Voluntary Recall Due to Potential Mold

Next Article

Rag and bone cate mid rise skinny

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos